February 19th, 2012Dining & Travel, ReviewsMelinda 7 Comments

I was recently routed to a Texas Roadhouse for lunch, in Waco, just off the infamous Circle.   I figured I would have a baked potato, generally a safe “go to” for me.  I decided to ASK if they had a Gluten Free Menu.  Our server, Stephanie, perked up, and said…”Yes”

A little bit later, she and manager, Megan Welsh,  returned with their gluten free menu.  My visit with Megan, revealed that they were very attentive to the needs of their customers.

I was surprised to see it was pretty ample.  Ribs, salads, steaks, dinners, bunless burgers, kids options and several sides.  What a relief.

I decided to order a bunless All American Cheeseburger, and a Loaded Baked Potato.

Lunch and the service was great, and the staff very understanding, and nice.  We had a wonderful lunch.

Order Notes:

Identify yourself and your needs.

Present a Dining Card if you carry one.

Order and specifically ask that the food:

• NOT be prepared with their “Grill Shortening”
  • NO Cream Gravy
  • NO Buns or Bread
  • NO Seasoned Rice or Mashed Potatoes

Click for a Texas Roadhouse near you.

PEANUT ALLERGY ALERT:  Texas Roadhouse has buckets and buckets of peanuts out for snacking.  I do not recommend visiting if anyone in the party has a Peanut Allergy.

'7 Responses to “Gluten Free at Texas Roadhouse”'
  1. I went to their web site and they are no longer offering a gluten free menu. If you go to their Contact site, click on food, and then click on Gluten Free menu they have an explanation why they stopped offering a GF menu.

2. Carrie says:

Actually, they are still accommodating. Just went there. No dedicated menu, but they will scrape their grills, etc to avoid cross contamination. Any basic (steak, meat) can be done gluten free. A manager visits our table every time!! :)

3. Janet says:

Pretty new at this but thought I was being smart. This was my first meal out after being gluten free for 2 weeks and doing great. Didn’t eat any rolls, requested no crutons on my salad. Ate the roadkill (grilled chopped steak with onions and mushrooms) but with no cheese, and steamed veggies. Happy it only took 10 minutes to get home. Thought I was going to explode! Either it was the grill shortening (that I didn’t know they use until seeing it listed here) or something they may have added to the veggies. I have learned (the hard way I guess) to ALWAYS mention my gluten problem no matter what I order.

4. Jennifer says:

Was pretty disappointed they wouldn’t cook me a dry potato. It is rolled in their grill sause and they wouldn’t make me a fresh one. Wow .
    They were however very knowledgeable about their menu. And let me know themselves that I couldnt have one when I ordered.

5. Cindy says:

I was always told that they rolled their potatos in bacon grease to make the salt stick – what is the “grill sauce”?

• Discover Gluten Freedom says:

Not sure on the potato, I dont recall it having a salty shell. The grill sauce is basically a flavored oil, but on their inhouse notations it says to have them prepare with out it, if you are gluten free.

6. Stephanie says:

I worked at Texas Roadhouse for a few years. The grill sauce you speak of is butter, potatoes (both sweet and baked potatoes) are coated in butter, steaks are coated in butter, they love butter. Baked potatoes are coated with kosher salt.